Pages

Monday, 22 February 2016

THE NEW STUDENT COUNCIL


On Thursday, February 18, 2016, KYUEM students voted to elect a new Student Council. These young people will shortly be taking over from their senior year colleagues, and seeing me every Monday morning. We meet at 7.30 am, together with the Bursar and Student Services Manager, to share views from both sides of the college spectrum – students and staff. One innovation of the last SC was to have the sessions minuted and to have the minutes posted on the SC Noticeboard. I hope this is a practice that the new SC will continue.

Prior to the elections, there were three Manifesto Nights, during which candidates for specific posts presented their arguments and were quizzed by their peers. I attended the Tuesday night session, and as always, was struck by how candid and frank the exchanges were. In some cases, the gloves really came off and more than a few blows hit home. This, I guess, is a good training ground for a career in politics. SC members certainly need to grow a thick skin if they are to parry the “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” that the coming twelve months will bring.

I would like to congratulate the new Student Council and to wish them well in their year in office. I would also like to pass on my sincere thanks to the outgoing SC, with whom it has been such a pleasure to work throughout this past year. I now look forward to addressing the newcomers at the SC camp on Sunday and going out for dinner with both councils, old and new, that same evening.

I would like to end this post by announcing the appointment of a new Bursar: En. Nik Mohd. Suhaiman bin Nik Saleh. He will be joining us on March 1, 2016, and brings to KYUEM a wealth of experience managing hotels and resorts. I'm sure he will do very well here, and I bid him a hearty welcome on behalf of everyone at the college.

No comments:

Post a Comment